Who to notify about changing my name?

Once your Deed Poll has been signed, dated and witnessed, you should then inform all organisations which hold your personal details about your change of name, so they can amend their records and/or re-issue documents with your new name if necessary.


It is recommended to send an original Deed Poll and not a photocopy to public departments unless they advise otherwise. Please check their requirements before sending your Deed Poll. 


The list below contains some organisations which you might need to inform about your change of name. This list is not exhaustive.

  • HM Passport Office (to apply for a new passport).
  • Driver & Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA).
  • HM Land Registry.
  • HM Revenue & Customs (for tax and National Insurance records).
  • Banks and building Societies.
  • Credit card companies.
  • Employer.
  • Department for Work & Pensions.
  • Private Pension company.
  • Insurance company (if any).
  • Professional bodies.
  • School/college/university.
  • Your GP, Dentist & Optician.
  • Utility companies (water, gas, electricity).
  • Internet and telephone service providers.
  • Local authorities (for council tax and electoral register).
  • TV Licensing.
  • Police / Probation Service (should you have any current or pending criminal actions against you to be heard or if you are on the Sex Offenders Register. Similarly, your probation officer if you are on probation).