Change your name after marriage in the UK

In the UK, changing your name after marriage is a choice many individuals make to reflect their new marital status. While taking your partner's surname is a common tradition, it's not mandatory. If you decide to change your name after marriage, you can do so through a deed poll, which is a legal document recognized by authorities.


To change your name after marriage using a deed poll, the process is relatively simple. First, you need to obtain a deed poll document. This involves filling out the necessary paperwork, typically stating your old name, new name (which may include your spouse's surname), and signatures of witnesses. The document must then be signed and dated in the presence of witnesses, confirming the change of name.


Once you have your deed poll, you can begin updating your official documents, including your passport, driving licence, and bank accounts, to reflect your new name. This ensures consistency across all your identification documents.


When changing your name on official documents like a passport, you'll need to provide your deed poll as evidence of your name change. The passport office will then issue you a new passport with your updated name.


Changing your name after marriage by using a deed poll offers a flexible and straightforward way to update your identification documents. Whether you're taking your partner's surname, creating a double-barrelled surname, or adopting a completely new name, a deed poll provides a legal avenue to make the change official. It's a personal choice that allows individuals to embrace their new identity while maintaining legal clarity and consistency in official records.


How can we help?

You can apply for a Deed Poll to change any part of your name by using our fast, simple, and stress-free Deed Poll service.


<< back to the Blog main page

Write a comment

Comments: 0